Are you a Mac user and looking for a data recovery software that is similar to Recuva? Well, look no further as we have listed down the top 3 alternatives to Recuva that have the same functions, or even more.
What is Recuva?
Recuva (pronounced ray·koo·vuh) by Piriform is one of the most popular data recovery applications out there. It is easy to use and can recover several file types from storage media such as USB flash drives, SD cards, external hard drives, and more.
The application is available to download for free. It has quick and deep scanning modes to help you find lost data, and you can easily select which hard drive to scan. If you want a higher recovery rate and virtual drive support, an upgrade to the professional version is also available for $19.95.
Is There Recuva For Mac?
Unfortunately, there is no Recuva for Mac. This data recovery application was designed with Windows OS in mind. If you encounter http://www.recuvaformac.com/, do not get fooled because this is not the original Recuva by Piriform.
Top 3 Best Recuva Alternatives For Mac
1. Disk Drill
Number one on the list is Disk Drill. We did a deep dive into Disk Drill’s recovery process in one of our previous articles, which you can check out here.
If your file was corrupted or data was lost because of a malware attack, Disk Drill can help you recover it. It is packed with a lot of functions that users can appreciate, and it is very easy to navigate.
Here are a few reasons why you should try Disk Drill:
- It can retrieve over 300 file formats. You can also send a request to Disk Drill if there is a file type that is currently not supported by the software.
- Using the program is pretty much a one-click process where you can scan and recover your files easily.
- A feature called S.M.A.R.T. monitoring is also available, which helps protect and repair your drive.
- Regular backups are possible through its own Time Machine.
- You can access your latest unfinished scan and resume it.
Now, there is no free version for Mac users. Despite that, you can still scan through the deleted files and preview them to see if your file can be recovered. If you can see your file, then you can purchase the PRO version for only $89 and that will come with unlimited data recovery.
If you are one of those people who like to store photos and videos inside a digital camera, PhotoRec will be your best friend in case you encounter some data losses. The app specializes in SD card recovery. But, despite its name, it can recover more than just photos. In fact, it supports over 480 file types.
PhotoRec is a free and open-source type of software. It has a command-line user interface, so a little coding is required. But don’t worry because it’s very easy to learn, and you can always count on YouTube to teach you how to do it.
Here are a few key features that PhotoRec offers:
- Free and unlimited data recovery.
- Open-source with regular updates.
- Easy to install and reliable.
Though PhotoRec’s interface may either bore or intimidate you, it is free to use and has unlimited file recovery.
One drawback is that it doesn’t allow you to preview your files before recovering them. Another is that all files are recovered using generic names, so you’ll have to review and rename them every time a recovery process is completed. And if you are trying to recover a bunch of files, this may make your experience a bit distressing.
Regardless, it is still very easy to install and use PhotoRec. Just download the app here, unpack the archive, and continue with the installation as prompted.
Lastly, we have Recoverit by Wondershare. This app has been around since 2003 and has gained loyal customers over the years. When you download Recoverit, you will immediately appreciate the user interface because it is aesthetically pleasing and easy to navigate.
When comparing Recoverit to other similar software, the file recovery of this app takes a little longer. Granted, it has a high recovery rate of 96%. It also boasts a 3-step recovery process: select, scan, and recover. Truly a simple yet powerful data recovery app.
Unfortunately, Recoverit is not free software, and admittedly, can get quite expensive. There are three plans available:
- Priced at $79.95.
- Recovery from all devices including your Mac, hard drive, and external hard drives.
- With quick scan, deep scan, and file preview.
- Unlimited data recovery for 1 device with more than 1000 file formats.
- Comes with free technical support.
- Priced at $99.95.
- All features from the Essential plan plus crash recovery, resolving “blue screen of death”, and creating a bootable media.
- Priced at $119.95.
- Can recover and repair data for up to 2 Macs.
- All features from Standard plan with repair of corrupt videos, scan video fragments, and advanced video recovery.
It’s normal to feel frustrated when you accidentally delete or lose files. While Recuva is not available for Mac users, there are plenty of reliable alternatives that you can choose instead. You just have to find the best software that suits your needs.
So, don’t panic if you accidentally lose your data. You can always try Disk Drill!