Even though AirPlay and Chromecast are both streaming technologies, they run on completely different frameworks, so you can’t natively AirPlay to Chromecast. However, there are some easy workarounds for it, which is exactly what this article is about. In this article, we’ll discuss how to use AirPlay to cast videos to your Chromecast and enjoy your favorite content on the big screen.
Comparing Chromecast and AirPlay: Key Differences and Use Cases
Chromecast is a small device by Google that connects to your TV’s HDMI port. It lets you cast content from your smartphone or computer to the TV screen. AirPlay is a built-in feature available on Apple devices. It allows you to stream content from your iPhone/iPad/Mac to other Airplay-compatible devices without external hardware.
Another notable difference is their approach to streaming. Chromecast allows your phone or computer to function as a remote control, enabling you to continue using your device while content is being played on the connected TV. In contrast, AirPlay mirrors your device’s entire screen, which means you cannot use it for other tasks while streaming content.
However, the biggest difference is that AirPlay is exclusively available for Apple devices, whereas Chromecast is compatible with many other devices like Android smartphones, Smart TVs, and iOS.
If you own an Apple device and want to stream media to an Apple TV, AirPlay is the ideal solution. However, if you have a mix of devices and prefer to cast content to your TV without interrupting your device usage, Chromecast may be the better option.
Cast iPhone Videos via AirPlay or Chromecast
Here’s how to cast an iPhone screen to your TV using different methods and applications:
Method #1 How to Cast iPhone With AirPlay
If you have an AirPlay-compatible TV, speakers, or any other casting device, using AirPlay to stream content wirelessly from your iPhone is the easiest way. Here’s how to do it:
- Swipe down from your iPhone screen to access the Control Center.
- Tap the screen mirroring icon.
- From the list of available devices, tap on the device you want to cast to.
- Now your iPhone screen will be displayed on your AirPlay-supported device. If everything is connected properly, there will be a checkmark symbol next to the name of the device your iPhone is connected to. You can still control playback and adjust the volume from your iPhone as usual.
Method #2 How to Cast iPhone to Chromecast With Google Home
If the deceive you want to cast iPhone to TV to does not support AirPlay, you can easily use Chromecast to cast your iPhone to Chromecast using Google Home. Here’s how to do it:
- Head to the App Store to download and install the Google Home app.
- Open the Google Home app and tap the plus icon in the upper left corner to add a new device.
- Select Set up device and choose Set up new devices in your home.
- On the next screen, tap on New devices to connect to your Chromecast.
- Grant location access to Google Home.
- Now Google Home will scan for the Chromecast and connect to it. Follow the on-screen instructions to connect your Chromecast to your Google Home.
- Then connect your Chromecast to the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone.
Now that you’ve set up your Chromecast, you’re ready to AirPlay to Chromecast. You can also use AirPlay from Google Chrome to cast content to your TV.
- Open any app that supports casting, like Netflix or YouTube, and play any video you want to cast.
- Tap the Cast icon in the app you want to cast from on your iPhone.
- Select the Chromecast you want to cast from the list of devices that appear.
- It may take a few seconds to establish the connection.
- Your iPhone screen should now appear on your TV or other device connected to your Chromecast. You will also get a confirmation message on your App.
Method #3 How to Cast iPhone to Chromecast With TV Cast Chromecast
You can also use the TV Cast Chromecast app to cast your iPhone to Chromecast. Here’s how you can do it in just a few simple steps:
- Make sure your iPhone and Chromecast are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Download and install TV Cast Chromecast from the App Store on your iPhone.
- Open TV Cast Chromecast and tap the Personal Media button.
- Grant access to view your photos.
- You can now select the photo or video you want to cast on your TV, and they will appear on your TV.
Method #4 How to Cast iPhone to Chromecast With Replica
Replica is another third-party app that allows you to cast your iPhone screen to other devices using AirPlay. However, the free version of the app limits the screen mirroring on iPhone time to 15 mins, after which you’ll have to upgrade to the paid version.
To use the Replica app to cast your iPhone using AirPlay, follow these steps:
- Download and install the Replica app on your iPhone from the App Store.
- Ensure your iPhone and the device you want to cast to (e.g., Smart TV, Apple TV, or a compatible streaming device) are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the Replica app on your iPhone. It will automatically search for compatible devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Then choose the one you want to cast your iPhone screen from the list of available devices.
- To cast photos and videos from your iPhone, tap on Gallery.
- Grant Replica access to your photos and videos.
- Now you can tap to select any photo or video you want to cast on the Chromecast.
- Your photo will now be cast to the Chromecast.
Method #5 How to Cast iPhone to Chromecast With iWebTV
iWebTV is another convenient way to cast your iPhone to Chromecast. Follow these simple steps to cast your iPhone using iWebV:
- Download and install the iWebTV app on your iPhone.
- Ensure your iPhone and the device you want to cast to (e.g., TV, Chromecast) are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Open the iWebTV app and open the link of the video you want to cast on the iWebTV app.
- Play the video and tap the Cast icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Select your Chromecast device from the list of available devices.
- Wait for a few seconds for the casting to start. Your iPhone screen should now be mirrored on the device you selected.
Chromecast and AirPlay are built on different technological foundations, making them incompatible. However, you can still cast videos from your iPhone to a Chromecast using third-party apps, such as Google Home, TV Cast Chromecast, or iWebTV.
To mirror your iPhone’s screen, you can always use Apple’s built-in AirPlay feature or third-party apps like Replica.