Losing data from an SD card does not have to be a disaster. If files are accidentally deleted or the card is mistakenly formatted, there’s a good chance you can recover the lost data. SD card recovery software for Mac can often recover all of your lost photos, videos, and files with minimal effort on your part.
What Makes an SD Card Recovery Tool Good Enough to Be on Our List?
There are many Mac SD card recovery tools available on the market. Some are paid solutions while others are freeware applications. We have chosen the SD recovery software for Mac tools in this post based on multiple criteria that make them a viable solution for general users.
Following are the main points that determined if an SD card recovery tool for Mac made our list.
- ⚙️ Operating system support – Since this article focuses on solutions for Mac users, the tools we selected all support macOS. You want a tool that supports the latest version of macOS, and the version you are currently running. The solution also needs to be able to handle the file formats used on SD cards in digital devices.
- 🧰 Recovery capabilities and flexibility – The tools we selected for memory card recovery on Mac need to provide the necessary capabilities and functionality to retrieve deleted data. We prefer software that is flexible enough to address multiple data loss scenarios and can recover deleted files from multiple types of SD or memory cards.
- 🌟 Popularity – The popularity of a software tool is often a good indicator of its utility in addressing the needs of the user community. SD card recovery software for Mac that can successfully recover lost data will be more popular with Mac users than solutions that don’t perform well. We tend to favor software that performs well and is popular with users.
- 💬 User reviews – User reviews can point to attractive features or issues with a software tool that may not affect its general popularity. There may be some specific problems with how a software solution performs in certain situations that have been identified and communicated through a user review. We look at reviews and tend to avoid products that have been received negatively by the computing community.
- 💰 Price – Price may be a determining factor for some users, so we do consider it when selecting Mac SD card recovery tools. Opting for the least expensive solution may not always produce the best recovery results. For this reason, price and functionality need to be considered together when choosing a recovery solution. When dealing with your valuable data, don’t be tempted to go with the cheapest tool.
Top 5 Best SD Card Recovery Software Tools for Mac
The process for recovering data from an SD card is similar to other data recovery techniques on a Mac. You simply need to connect the SD card to your machine and have it recognized by the operating system before performing the recovery.
The following five tools can all be used to recover lost files from an SD card. We think they are among the best Mac SD card recovery solutions available.
1. Disk Drill for Mac
Disk Drill is a user-friendly SD card recovery tool for Mac that includes many additional features that provide extra value to its customers. A streamlined process starts recovering files with just a few clicks. Disk Drill supports virtually every type of disk-based storage device and all the file formats you will find on your Mac. Fast and deep scanning modes let you control the recovery and files can be previewed while the scan is being performed.
- The software includes free data management and protection tools.
- Scan results can be mounted as a virtual disk and viewed with Finder.
- Files can be previewed before recovery.
- Users can create byte-level backups of failing disks for future recovery.
- Advanced scanning algorithms find all available data on disk-based devices.
- No free data recovery is available for Mac systems.
- No phone support is offered.
💲 Pricing: The PRO version of the tool costs $89. An additional $29 gets you lifetime software updates.
2. EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac
This is another commercial SD card recovery tool for Mac that can get your lost files back safely. The software has a user-friendly interface and supports a simple, three-step recovery process. All major file formats are supported for preview and recovery. You can recover files from just about any kind of disk-based storage device with this software solution.
- EaseUS has a very responsive technical support team.
- Files can be recovered during the scanning process.
- An extensive knowledge base is available to help users cope with various data loss scenarios.
- Files can be recovered directly to the cloud.
- The tool collects user data by default and this setting must be turned off each time you use the app.
- Software updates are provided infrequently.
- The limited preview functionality excludes larger files and some file formats.
- It’s more expensive than alternative commercial products.
💲 Pricing: A one-month subscription is $89.95, a one-year subscription is $119.95, and a lifetime subscription with free upgrades costs $169.95
3. R-Studio for Mac
R-Studio is an effective SD card recovery tool for Mac that was originally developed for use by professionals. Its interface, modeled on Windows Explorer, is not as user-friendly as other commercial alternatives. Still, the company provides a library of tutorial videos to assist users in navigating the tool. The tool supports the recovery of all major file formats across many types of storage devices including memory cards.
- The tool can be used with old versions of the Mac operating system.
- RAID arrays can be reconstructed with the software.
- An emergency version of the tool runs from a flash drive or CD for recovery of non-bootable system drives.
- The software demonstrates superior scanning speed.
- Users can’t preview files while scanning.
- File previews can be very slow.
- Scan results can be difficult to interpret.
- Interrupted scans are not automatically resumed.
💲 Pricing: The basic version of the tool with a lifetime license costs $79.99.
4. Wondershare Recoverit for Mac
Here’s another commercial tool that supports memory card recovery on Mac. The software features a modern interface that makes it easy for general users to recover lost data. Recoverit supports the recovery of many file formats on a wide variety of storage devices.
- A user-friendly interface lets anyone use the tool.
- A dedicated video search mode can reduce scanning and recovery time.
- The software supports the creation of bootable disks with macOS.
- The tool can be used to repair videos that refuse to play.
- Users cannot change the size of the app’s main window.
- No recovery time estimates are provided.
- Scans are limited to volumes and cannot handle complete disks.
- The tool has limited preview capabilities.
💲 Pricing: A one-year license costs $89.99 with a lifetime license coming in at $119.
PhotoRec is an open source freeware data recovery tool that can be used to retrieve lost files from a memory card. This solution employs a menu-driven command-line interface that some users may find difficult to navigate. It’s the work of a single developer and is updated infrequently. PhotoRec does offer unlimited file recovery for free and may appeal to more technically savvy users.
- PhotoRec is a completely free SD card recovery tool for Mac.
- The tool supports many different operating systems, filesystems, and file formats.
- The open source nature of the tool lets you modify it if you wish.
- This tool can be used on old hardware as it uses minimal computer resources.
- The command-line interface can be difficult to use.
- Files are recovered with generic filenames, slowing the recovery process.
- Users need to have more knowledge of the underlying file system than with commercial products.
- The software has not been updated in several years.
💲 Pricing: Freeware with no cost to the user.
Our go-to recovery tool is Disk Drill, and we think you will agree once you try the software. The extra data protection features add value to the product and help keep your valuable information safe. The free version of Disk Drill lets you scan and preview an SD card on your Mac to see what it can recover before you make a financial investment.
R-Studio is a powerful recovery tool that provides good results but is a little harder to use than Disk Drill. PhotoRec gives users a free and unlimited recovery solution that requires the use of a command line interface. Both tools can recover your lost SD card data.
Losing valuable data from an SD card is never enjoyable, but is often not as bad as your think. The files can usually be retrieved with an SD card recovery tool for Mac as long as they have not been overwritten by new data. All of the software tools we have chosen can get your files back. Good luck recovering your files with SD card recovery software for Mac.